[pct-l] KNIFE?

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Thu Mar 24 10:25:11 CDT 2011

I like knives.  I know that will set some people off, but I do...  I almost always carry one; out shopping, in the office, any place it is legal (currently have a Chris Reeve Sebenza in my pocket, on my way to work).

I like the EESE's and the Izula's but they might be bit much for a lot of the PCT.  I recently bought my first Bark River, and I like those guys a lot.

For hiking I carry a Spyderco Endura FRN.  I like the "lefty" compatibility and the blade is large enough for serious tasks while it is light enough to not concern me.  I also consider them kinda "disposable" AKA, won't cry if I lose it or hurt by beating on it with a branch. I can also get them in colors that will be easier to find if I DO drop it.  My GF and I also carry a smallish Leatherman, more than most people would carry, but we average the weight over two people.

I've carried a pocket knife since my age hit double digits and many of my close friends have been confused by that, but many of my closer friends have received one from me as a gift.  I asked them to carry it for a month or so and if they decided not to carry it on a regular basis, I would get them something else.  I'd say that around 75% still carry a pocket knife.  It's not a "guy thing", some of them have been female...

BillB