[pct-l] Lone Pine to Ashland - Hike Whitney or not?

Anthony Curnow thearborant at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 18:24:48 CST 2012

Hi All,

I've been reading the wise words of wisdom of you all for a few months now,
as I go about preparing for an adventure spanning from Lone Pine to
Ashland.

As we (a mate and I) are beginning at the highest points of the trip, we
thought it would be a good idea to summit Whitney in those first few days.

I'm finding it tricky cross referencing all the information to determine
how feasible this is...

>From what I gather, it's about 70 odd km from Lone Pine to Independence
(not including the extra 35km return to Independence itself for resupply).

How far is the Whitney summit off this trail, and is it possible to base
camp sort of lower, leave the gear while we summit, then head back down to
the main trail all in under a day?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all!
[trail name TBC]