[pct-l] Pct hike summer 2013

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Fri Jun 8 07:25:52 CDT 2012

> ...  immerse my self in minimalist situations to constantly asses my gear...

Chris,

Your approach is excellent.  Steel-eye suggested sleeping on the carpet to prep the body for ground sleeping.  I learned a lot by sleeping on the back porch in winter with only the gear I planned to take.  I first did this before Mtn Ned's Snow School at Echo Pass and found out quickly and easily that my feet were cold.  So I got up and went inside to finish the night in bed.  After a  trip to the local outfitter, I went back out the next night and slept warmly.  A test at home will teach you just as much about your gear as will a 5-day trip in the wilderness, with a lot less misery if things don't go well.

This method works for all kinds of situations, e.g., food, which you mentioned.  I am now trying to reconstit ute se veral  dried food items without hot water, to see how they turn out.  I am going cold this year, and I don't like surprises that can be avoided.

Good luck.

Mango