[pct-l] Preparing for a thru hike

Thomas Jamrog balrog at midcoast.com
Fri Jun 8 13:37:55 CDT 2012

Regarding gait:
Having your gait assessed by a knowledgeable sports podiatrist is the first thing you should do if you are planning a thru hike.  Blisters, shin splints, back pain all can be compounded or even  caused by gait abnormalities. In my case, I had to take longer steps, not smaller, widen my gait slightly, and aim my heel placement on the inside of the heel. I did serious damage to my left foot on my AT thru hike, and corrected my gait and was able to complete my PCT thru hike without a blister, or any additional damage to my feet. It took me over a year to completely alter my dysfunctional gait.   There are too many personal factors involved to say that one thing fits all ( i.e. barefoot running).  Get an individual assessment or at least read Sherry Brourman's "Walk Yourself Well" as a start.  Also, I have had fewer problems after I hiked in thin merino socks in footwear that is two sizes larger than I normally wear.
"Avert the damage before it comes".
Uncle Tom