[pct-l] Cooking systems

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Tue Sep 4 19:12:16 CDT 2012

I have been using the pocket rocket for several years--it fits right in
my pot. I only cook at night, so an 8 oz canister lasts for weeks. I
tried an alcohol stove--I don't like the invisible flame (or having to
add a pinch of salt to make it visible), the mess of carrying liquid
fuel or the proximity of the flame to the ground and flammable
surroundings. I made a pot cozy for my pot--so if the recipe calls for
simmering for 10 mins, I just bring it to a boil and then shut the stove
off and put the pot in the cozy and it cooks the rest of the way while I
do other chores. With this method a lot more grocery store food is
available to use backpacking. The cozy is made of the material used for
car windhshield sun protectors.

It has not been hard to find isobutane canisters on the PCT--sometimes
they are in hiker boxes. Many stores along the way have become hiker
gear savvy and carry them. If all else fails you can ship yourself 4 oz.
canisters--with appropriate labelling. You can google the right post
office procedures. I have had a friend ship me 4 oz canisters, no
problem.

--Fireweed