[pct-l] Protective phone case

Chris Pratt chris.pratt89 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 08:44:02 CDT 2013

Kristin,

I carry a Samsung Galaxy S.  To protect it I have a normal plastic belt
phone carrier,  It has a back cover that snaps on the phone and a front
sleeve that you clip onto your belt.  Remove the the belt clip from the
front sleeve and you have a very strong case for drop/impact events
(this phone is almost 3 years old).  While backpacking I have an
inexpensive waterproof bag (roll top with a clip) that I got at WalMart
of all places (Outdoor Products).  I run BackCountry navigator on it and
store all sorts of info about the areas I'm hiking in.  Also on extended
trips I'll carry up to 3 extra batteries and a lightweight charger, this
allows me to go weeks without recharging (normally you would leave the
phone off if you are not using it).

Chris
On 4/3/2013 10:33 PM, Kristin Hamann wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions!  Unfortunately none of these cases (aside
> from the ziplock) is compatible with my phone, Samsung Focus S. I do need
> more than a ziplock baggie.  My last phone (POS Pantech Burst #2) died
> around the time I got mad when it wouldn't charge and may have thrown it
> across the room.  I still maintain that it was already a dead POS at the
> time, and that phones should not be made out of glass.  My phone before
> that (POS Pantech Burst #1) just stopped charging one night.  My phone
> before that was a dumb phone that only quit working after 4 years of
> faithful service because my evil cat spilled a glass of water on it.  I
> tried everything, turning it off for a day with the battery out, leaving it
> out in the sun, putting it in the oven at low heat, throwing it across the
> room (I have since learned that does not work) to no avail.  I have gone
> through 4 phones in less than a year.  Perhaps I really just need
> insurance.

> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 9:33 PM, JPL <jplynch at crosslink.net> wrote:
>
>> Me too.  Ziplock, stuffed deep in pack.  Don't really need a protective
>> case, not to mention don't need to carry the weight!

>>> k