[pct-l] Anyone know of a trail angel in Tehachapi?

Paint Your Wagon n801yz at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 7 10:13:28 CDT 2013

Cheers!

Trailhacker,

I am currently (temporarily) in IL... so my PCT notes are not in hand as I came from AZ... so I’ll give you as many clues or leads that I can from memory.

Prior to reaching the trailhead NOBO at Tehachapi, one discovers a small campsite with a picnic table right after crossing a footbridge. The picnic table’s top is adorned with a small slab of plywood, and affixed to it is a laminated sheet of paper with a list of locals willing to give rides to hikers. The Tehachapi Municipal Airport may also have this list, and or if you call them and ask really nice... there’s a chance that you might be able to yogi a ride. The airport manager is Tom and his faithful assistant is Gaston. Tell em’ Paint Your Wagon sent ya’! I stayed there 3 days trying out the accommodations. There’s grass at the terminal about the size of a typical front yard, where I stayed BEFORE I knew of the park which is about an eighth of a mile to the east.

As an aside- Tom is a former corporate jet pilot and one of his more memorable gigs was flying George Carlin to his shows for an entire season.

Also, the glider airport which is way closer to the trailhead may be able to offer a ride, or have the list that I speak of. There’s around 18 people on the list. By the way, one of the people on the list runs a coffee shop in town, as I went there on WED., which was open mic night, and I yogi’d myself a ride back to the trail the next day. Originally, I hitched a ride into town using Willow Springs Rd. Seems like I waited an hour (Sunday) before getting a lift to the truck stop. From there, I walked to the municipal airport. I called PCT hiker extraordinaire Rockin’, mom of Silly Chilli, and wife to Dan, to yogi a ride, but she was in Idaho at the time visiting her daughter.

There’s a bona fide park at the municipal airport with at least an acre of grass, trees, picnic tables, portable outhouse, grilling pit and water. The terminal has a shower, kitchen, refreshments, cable tv, internet, and gourmet coffee, with a donation of $5.00 a night for the stay. This facility is city owned so minding one’s p’s and q’s is the way to go. Having said that, they are totally hiker friendly, and I now consider them my friends.

Having missed the glider airport, I’m only guessing but imagine that it’s a casual affair and more to the average hiker’s liking. I plan to scout the place out when I pass that way this year. Many of the country’s military pilots receive glider training at this facility. The glider airport is on the way into town via Willow Springs Rd., on the left and guessing... about halfway between the trailhead and the truck stop.

The Chamber of Commerce may have the list that I speak of.

IMHO: Tehachapi is hiker friendly, and somebody there figured out that it would be good for all concerned to get the hikers into town. Ring those registers ladies and gentlemen, and scrub a dub dub.