[pct-l] Boot selectio

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 12:50:43 CDT 2013

Rod wrote:

Am I the only one who read the post about sox? Lessee, hike
2 hours, take sox off and clean feet, ditto, ditto, etc., wash sox that
night. IMHO that's the result of hiking in ventilated running shoes.

Both boots and trail runners have their advantages and disadvantages.  I
definitely believe that one of the big advantages of a lightweight,
mid-height boot is that you don't get dirt and sand abrading your feet and
causing skin problems.  On the other hand, your feet are less ventilated and
will probably run moister and hotter than in trail runners, which may or may
not leave you worse off.  They'll also take forever to dry after creek
fords, which is only a factor for a few hundred miles through the Sierra but
it's an important one.

My default advice to people is to consider trail runners because so many use
them with good success, but I don't consider lightweight boots a stupid
choice.  They're reasonable if you have a good reason to want their
advantages.

Eric