[pct-l] Missing Japanese Hiker on PCT

Nuoya Zhang nzhang4 at binghamton.edu
Thu Oct 3 00:41:30 CDT 2013

Hi fellow PCT-ers and trail angels,

My name is Heidi (trail name: Chinese Rock). I am a Chinese long distance
hiker who plans to thru-hike the PCT next year. In the past summer I
finished the Colorado Trail--what a fantastic hike!  I've been following
this email list-serv for a long time, and was updated on all the SAR news
recently...it was tragic, along with the gov shutdown.

I have another piece of bad news here...I was just informed that a Japanese
hiker named "Taka" left *Skykomish on Sept 25th* and was never heard of
since then. Many of you might already know him, since he was one of the 8
Japanese hikers who thru-hiked PCT last year.

Taka attended the PCT Days, and then headed towards the Canadian border. He
is expected to reach Stehekin on 9/30. Two days passed and we still heard
nothing from him. His friend "Goku" (PCT 2013 Japanese thru-hiker) and many
others (including "Low Gear") have attempted to contact him through
facebook and email, but he did not reply back.

So--if you happen to ever meet or hear about Taka after 9/25, please let us
know! His friends and family will greatly appreciate your information. If
we still hear nothing from him, we'll resort to SAR immediately.

Thank you very much!

Chinese Rock