[pct-l] International hiker, a few questions

Diane Soini dianesoini at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 08:48:53 CST 2014

On Feb 11, 2014, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:45:57 +0100
> From: Tobias Spiegelhalter <tobias.spiegelhalter at gmail.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] International hiker, a few questions
>

> 1. Is there a way to search the archives of this list (non-manual)?

Google is the only way. Type mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
along with your search term.

> 2.2 When I hopefully reach Manning Park, what would be the easiest way
> to get home? Could I travel to Vancouver Airport with the Canada
> Permit
> or is that not allowed?

Most people take a bus from the Manning Park Lodge. I think it still
runs. Otherwise you could try to hitchhike. And yes, many people will
go to the nearest airport. I actually went east and drove home.

> 3. Gear:

It is very rare to find a 6-moons designs tent in a store in the US.
We have to buy most ultralight stuff online. San Diego is one of the
US larger cities so they will have at least one REI you might be able
to visit for any last minute items. The suggestion to order and ship
to Scout and Frodo is a good one, but of course you don't get to look
at your gear. Another option is to attend the kickoff and buy some
gear, but you'll probably already be on your way.

> 4. Budget

The $/mile is usually strongly argued and nobody can agree on it.

I can tell you that hotel rooms for just one person ran me around $60-
$100 a night. You can make that cheaper by not staying in hotels or
sharing rooms.

Eating out usually ran me about $15-$30 per meal. I never wanted to
cut down on hot meals.

Shipping a 3 gallon plastic bucket cost me about $12 each time.

There were always a lot of odds and ends to buy.

I can't remember exactly what groceries cost me. Maybe $80-$100 or so
per segment? Some places I would buy a lot more, like Ashland where I
bought for the entire state of Oregon so it's hard to remember. Maybe
somebody has a more accurate figure because this guess seems both too
low and too high to me.

I remember in Ashland I had $600 of spending money to use for the
rest of the way to Canada for groceries, shipping things and meals
out. I had already bought my groceries for Oregon. I was done with
hotels eating up my money but figured if I needed one, I'd put it on
my credit card (I did get one in Snoqualmie to get out of the rain).
I spent about half of that $600.

California is more expensive than the rest, mostly because California
has more opportunity to spend (more towns) and you have to buy more
things as you figure more things out while Oregon and Washington are
pretty remote most of the time.