[pct-l] my secret to getting in shape

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 16:09:57 CST 2014

I'm just finishing What Makes Olga Run and wow what a lot of stuff we're
doing right living the thru hiker's life!   But there's lots we can do
while we're at home too.  One of the biggest secrets toward the end of the
book is just not thinking you're old.  Keeping on acting and thinking young
and lots of change is possible.  Thinking this way has a physical effect on
people, on their muscles and minds.

Lots of physical activity including short, full out bursts at max effort,
healthy food, positive attitude, good self image, excitement and challenge,
being stressed by things that don't kill you but make you struggle,
thinking young, fidgeting, moving or standing with very little sitting,
(sitting is the new smoking), being part of a community, all are just some
of a long list of things Olga is doing right.  And much of this exemplifies
our life on trail, how it makes us feel inside and outside. That daily
flush of endorphins turns out to be a very good thing.

Have a wonderful hike everyone!

Shroomer