[pct-l] Windigo Pass to Odell Lake OR - PCT or OST?

Douglas Mead dmead53 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:51:58 CDT 2015

Thrus and Oregon Section Veterans,

My wife and I are section hiking the OR PCT this summer and are in need of
some sage advice from those who have gone before us.  At Windigo Pass (Mi
1883) we have the option of diverting to the Oregon Skyline Trail for the
trek up to Odell Lake (Shelter Cove - 1912.7).  Reports indicate that the
OST route is more picturesque, more level, and 10.4 miles shorter.  It also
appears to have several poorly marked trail junctions, and Halfmile's red
trail line even deviates from the old OST black dashed line markings in
several places.  Is there some confusion on this route?   The purist in me
is struggling with the idea of taking an alternate route, but it appears
that many, perhaps most thru hikers use the OST trail in this section.
Thanks for your input.  We look forward to seeing many of you on the trail
this summer.

MapFreak and 180