[pct-l] Sandals

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 19:33:02 CST 2015

I haven't hiked in sandals, but have met a number of people who have hiked
thru hikes in boots, sandals, Crocs, and even barefooted.   What I've heard
from those in sandals is that it requires a new way of walking with even
more focus on foot placement so as not to stub the front of your toes as
you hike along.  This is probably a healthy and more basically human way to
walk anyway, as we obviously were more careful with foot placement for many
thousands of years barefoot before we started making sandals.  Another
thing folks talk about is the need to shake out sand and pebbles as they
hike along.  Both of those are relatively small fry, however, for hiking in
footgear that you really love.  The vast majority of people use trail
runners however as they are lightweight and still provide some protection
for your feet.

If you're a sandals kind of guy, give it a shot, but have some shoes as
backup ready to be mailed to trail if you find yourself not comfortable
with your initial choice.  But you're in good company, plenty of folks hike
in sandals, but walk softly, and with deliberation when you start.

Shroomer