[pct-l] Getting from the Trail South of the Sierras

Dan McKean danlmarmot at gmail.com
Tue May 26 14:31:34 CDT 2015

Either Kennedy Meadows or Walker Pass are easy to get out of.  From KM get a ride to 395 and take the morning 395 Eastern Sierra transit bus to Lancaster that runs four days a week.  There you can get the Metrolink train at 1:30 to LA Union Station and the flyaway bus to LAX.  You might also find a ride from KM to Lancaster if you ask around at the store.  Another option is just to get off Metrolink at Burbank Airport, which has more limited flights.

If you do just get the ride from KM down to 395 and not all the way to Lancaster, call ESTA for where the bus stop is in Pearsonville, as they stop at a different spot now (the bus stops there for a restroom break for about 10 minutes, and the previous stop is being remodeled).  Use their website for more details on schedule.

At Walker Pass, it's easy to hitch into Lake Isabella and then get a Kern Transit bus to Bakersfield... and there you can get an Amtrak bus to LA Union Station.  Alternatively, if you get to Walker Pass in the morning, you can get a Kern Transit bus east to Inyokern and transfer to the ESTA bus to Lancaster to Metrolink train.  The two transit agencies are well aware of this inter-agency bus connection, and the bus drivers on both services (I've been on both) are in pretty constant radio contact with their dispatchers; it's not like a city bus.  Use the Kern Transit website for more details and just call them to let you know you want to connect.

This all does sound complicated, but once you get to Lancaster Metrolink or Bakersfield Amtrak things are easy.  You could also find your way to Ridgecrest (a few miles from Inyokern) and get a one-way car rental to Ontario airport (about 2 hours drive from Ridgecrest) or LAX.  From Enterprise, a last-minute car rental will run you about $90, including the one-way drop fees.  Once you factor in the other fees and the time spent with connections, the one-way car rental is a pretty decent option.

Dan (aka Mr Marmot)