[pct-l] Canadian on the PCT

Marvin and Shirley Barg barg at shaw.ca
Fri Feb 26 13:14:54 CST 2016

Sara, a Canadian can stay 6 months in the US no problem and even if the
trail takes longer no US customs agent is going to stop you from entering
Canada at the northern PCT terminal (they wouldn't be around there in
October anyways). I've never had a problem going thru US customs on the way
down.  I tell them I'm hiking from California to Canada along the Pacific
Crest Trail. They usually ask a few questions (they seem really intrigued),
if length of time to do this, I say about 5.5 months.

Official documents, passport of course and driver's licence. Unofficial, my
visa, debit, and Costco card! f As a Canadian, I don't bother about the
Canadian Customs document (available on the PCTA website) for entry into
Canada from the northern terminus. Optional paperwork IMO.

As for travel insurance, just shop around but the following seem to be the
best. BCAA, Costco now has travel insurance for an Executive Member and Blue
Cross. Canadian travel insurance tends to be pretty reasonable and
inclusive, like covering helicopter evacuation off the trail.BCAA might only
be able to cover you for 3 months at a time, I think renewal can be by
telephone or a friend in BC can do it for you. Also, if you come back early,
you can get a partial refund, with some proof you are actually back in BC
(visa receipt, postal stamp, etc.)

GK