[pct-l] Useful Skills/Training

Ned Tibbits ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Mar 2 00:15:15 CST 2016

Hey, Mike! Great questions!

Here are some of the topics we teach (in part) to our students to prepare
them for the realities of the trail:

Wilderness First Responder/EMT level of medical awareness (the principles)
Avalanche Awareness and Avoidance (the principles of AIARE=1)
Atmospheric Science overview
Sierra Flora & Fauna
Whitewater Rescue (as it pertains to creek crossing techniques)
Search & Rescue (as it pertains to sound judgment and what to do if you need
SAR)
Map/Compass/GPS and how it relates to knowing your environment
Cooking, inside & out
Topographic Navigation

and lots of practice trips!

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education, Inc.
www.mountaineducation.org
ned at mountaineducation.org

Mission:
"To minimize wilderness accidents, injury, and illness in order to maximize
wilderness enjoyment, safety, and personal growth, all through experiential
education and risk awareness training."